Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Interview with Agus Suwage

image courtesy of Artnivora

As one of the most important and influential figures in the Indonesian art world, Agus Suwage has extensively explored a range of artistic possibilities in his painting, sculpture and installation art. He has participated in 150 museum and gallery exhibitions around the world, including Asia Pacific Biennial in 1996, Singapore Biennial in 2006 and most recently, a retrospective at the Jogjakarta Art Museum in 2009, which was accompanied by a 670 page comprehensive monograph of his work, Still Crazy After All These Years, recently published in May 2010. As the year unfolds, this month Agus Suwage unveils his work in his first US solo exhibition at Tyler Rollins Fine Art Gallery in New York.

Our good friends at Whiteboard Journal did an interview with him, you should check it out here.




"My inspiration comes from multiple sources. In the beginning stages of my career, everything was very personal. All my explorations revolved around religion, sociopolitical themes and humanitarian work. I am very attached to my work. Nowadays, I derive inspiration from my deep, sincere thoughts and personal questions. It is like personal therapy where I try to expand and build upon what comes across my mind. It is a method I follow to get away, reanalyze and think things through."



"Technically speaking, I enjoy process because of its unexpected quality. However, this also becomes somewhat of a challenge because of its ambiguous nature. It may be a difficult process or time consuming. I will never know until I give it a try, but that never stopped me from experimenting."


Read the complete interview at Whiteboard Journal

No comments: